1.19.2006

Mirror

BARLOW GIRL
"Mirror"

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, Have I got it?
'Cause Mirror you've always told me who I am
I'm finding it's not easy to be perfect
So sorry you won't define me
Sorry you don't own me

Who are you to tell me
That I'm less than what I should be?
Who are you? Who are you?
I don't need to listen
To the list of things I should do
I won't try, I won't try

Mirror I am seeing a new reflection
I'm looking into the eyes of He who made me
And to Him I have beauty beyond compare
I know He defines meYou don't define me, you don't define me


You know those days when you don't feel beautiful? Those days when your hair is a mess and you don't have any clean clothes? And then you take a drink of water and instead of getting in your mouth, it ends up all down the front of your shirt? On those days, it's hard to remember that Psalm 45:11 says "The king is enthralled by your beauty..." And how cool is that?

FISH was cool today. FISH is always cool, though. It was just me, Cody, Chris, Jonna, and Jen.

I don't know. I grew up in a Christian home, so when I was five, I asked Jesus into my heart. I didn't understand discipleship and stuff then, so I never really followed God. I mean, I never did anything horrible. But then we started goint to Fairview Loop Baptist Church, and God totally got a hold of me. So then, I went to MYPD and I rededicated my life to Him, and since then, He's called me into missions, confirmed it to me, and is constantly working in my life, unless I stupidly let sin get in the way. So. I read my Bible every day. I'm not saying that to brag or anything, really, it's just true. In the morning, I write in my prayer journal, and read a part of my Bible, and then at night, I write in my prayer journal again, and then I do a Bible study, currently with the book "The Power of a Praying Teen" by Stormie Omartian. I won't let myself go to bed until I do those things. Even if it is like 11:40 p.m. and I'm exhausted, I still pray. I never thought that was weird. I mean, I like hanging out with God, so I do.

But today suring FISH, Cody asked who had read their Bible every day this week and I was the only one who had raised my hand. I mean, God likes us. He likes talking to us, and us talking to Him.

It's like, you know how it feels when a friend ignores you and doesn't talk to you for days on end? You know when you're talking and no one is listening? That's like God. He hates it when we ignore Him. When we go for days without praying, He doesn't like it. And when He tries to talk to us, and we don't listen, He doesn't like that either. I think people sometimes forget that God has feelings. He feels mercy, love, anger, and I'm sure He feels forgotten sometimes.

So I don't know. But I'm going to be praying more. And I want to get more into God's word. I just want to want Him.

2 comments:

Kristina Huling said...

Good post Melissa. I wish I could have come to FISH today, I was planning to but there was a last minute NHS officers meeting that I didn't know about. I think though, that I too have read my Bible every day this week. I almost didn't yesterday, but I was like, man, I don't want to skip out on God. And I'm glad that I didn't.
-Kristina

Melissa Joy said...

Thanks Kristina! Have an amazing, super weekend!