2.03.2007

Waiting On Letters From Home.

I went and checked my mail today, as I do everyday, not really expecting anything, though I knew I had a textbook coming in soon. And sure enough, there was a pink slip saying I had a package from USPS, which is my book. The window was already closed, so I have to wait until Monday to get it, which is okay. I won't need it until then.

Then...I saw a postcard. With little kid writing on it. Three sentences that made me laugh and smile and that made my heart leap with joy.

It said

"Hi Melissa
How are you?
I'm good!
I miss you!
Love,
Morgan"

That's all it said. The writing was crooked, like how a first grader writes, because that's what she is.

I babysat for her, all junior and senior year. She was one of my favorite kids. What a firecracker. She likes boys already, and puts on plays, and enjoys wearing makeup. She plays in the mud, then comes inside and plays with Barbies with Anna.

I love getting mail. But really, I love getting mail when people say "I miss you" and you know they mean it. I love when the letters are just honest...and real... it's like how only a kid can write. Adults bring other things into it - things like how classes are going, and whether or not you're eating well, what time you're going to bed (last night, it was 4:00 am), how you and your friends and boyfriend are doing. But little kids keep it simple - "How are you? I'm good. I miss you!" Nothing is sweeter than that.

No comments: