8.15.2009

Fearless.

Faith > Fear
Love > Fear

1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives our fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

Chris called me "fearless" the other day, and he was about as far from correct as you can get. I am fearful. I am so scared: Scared of doing God's will whole-heartedly. Scared of getting hurt. Scared of being alone. Scared of living with regrets.

I was thinking about all of this while Mom and I were at church for the 24 Hours of Prayer. I was thinking about how there is so much that people fear. And how fear, if it is not fear of the Lord, leads to death.

I've been listening to some songs lately: "Fearless" by Taylor Swift and "Fearless" by Building 429.

Taylor Swift's song addresses how a boy's love makes her fearless. And yet... human love is tainted. It's broken, selfish, incomplete. It doesn't solve anything. It leaves you wanting more, wanting things to be different.

But Building 429.

I don’t understand
No I can’t comprehend
This power that draws me to you
But I know for the cross
I’ll consider all lost
In an effort to tell of the truth

That the world may know
That the world may know
That you have been heaven sent to us
That the world may see
That the captives are free
For you have been heaven sent to us

I’ll be fearless for You
I’ll be fearless for You
Take me I’m Yours
I’ll be fearless for You

All the times that I’ve failed
When my doubt has prevailed
These are the moments I’m giving to you
Cause I can’t be ashamed
No I can’t fear the pain
When it comes time to be living proof

So the world may see
That the captives are freed
‘Cause you have been heaven sent to us

Unwilling to bend
Unwilling to break
Headstrong I’ll stand
No matter what it takes


Being fearless for God is something else all together. God's love... God's perfect love... makes you complete, whole. God's love changes things: it leads to forgiveness, reconciliation, a recognition that you are important and that you matter. God's love was sent to the cross for my brokenness, my humanity.

So, fearless. What is that? What does it mean? How can I live a fearless life? When there is so much that scares me, that intimidates me, how can I surrender all that I am and all that I have to God so that I can dance, fully free, in His love? And the thing is, it really does come down to surrender. I learned a lot this summer about pouring out my perfume (as in John 12:4). And it isn't until I begin to horde my perfume again, rather than sacrificing it in worship, that I become fearful.

And yeah, it's easier to live in fear, I think, than to live surrendered. But that's because we live in a fallen world. And while it is easier to live in that state, it isn't as... fulfilling. So, I'm going to suck it up. I'm going to continue to pour out my perfume, and I'm going to life fearless.

No comments: