4.07.2010

My Africa.

I just watched a video from my time in South Africa. I want to go back so desperately and yet somehow I know that this is not the time. For reasons unbeknown to me, I cannot return yet.

I hate that.

But I trust Him.

In the videos I watched, I heard the kids say my name the way they did: "Moleesa." One boy sang the goodbye song. Vuyi. Mbali. Tahmee. Sofanee. Candace. They were all there. They are all still there. But are they? Are they all there? Are they all okay? Tahmee - has she found a home? My precious girl.

On Friday, we are "Experiencing Africa." I am planning activities for all afternoon; the students will make maps, weave place-mats, go on a safari, read books, learn about apartheid, and find out more about the culture. It's a culminating activity for reading "The White Giraffe." It's been a lot of work getting it together, but I think it will be worth it.

I want them to experience the Africa I experienced. I want them to taste it, to touch it, to feel it, to know it. I want them to be changed as I was. And oh, I want to return. I will wait for His timing, as much as it hurts, as much as I don't want to, I will. His will is greater than mine.

2 comments:

KK said...

You always bring a smile to my face with your heart expressed through your words...

Unknown said...

Melissa, your life experiences are so awesome! Your kids are so lucky to be able to learn from you!