11.11.2010

I Wrote Those A While Ago.

I started my new job. Last Monday. I’ve gotten to wear cute teacher clothes everyday and I love it. Absolutely love it.

My job is not what I expected. I am not teaching, traditional style. I am in a support role, mostly engaged in tutoring and scaffolding students who have fallen behind the rest of their classmates. They have IEPs, goals toward which they are working. My job is to make sure they reach their goals.

Some highlights:
- “THUNDERFEET!!! THUNDERFEET!!!”
- Bus 100 kids
- Teaching… before I was supposed to.
- When a student’s score improved from 70 to 120.
- Looking at a dinosaur book, being told I was an herbivore.

I was introduced to everyone at the staff meeting. People know who I am and why I am here now; hopefully I am no longer just some random girl in the building.

Hopefully I am finding my niche.


Today was my first day of teaching. I have seven different sessions, with a total of twelve students. I teach two programs: Read Naturally and Sonday. The programs are both scripted or entirely student-driven. This means that my opportunity for creativity is somewhat limited. As in, extremely limited.

I’m trying to find the balance between being a substitute… and being a substitute here for a month. What is required of me? I don’t fully understand my role yet. But I like it.

I like knowing that if I am not here, a student won’t be helped like they need to be.


Weary. Heavy-laden.

“Come to Me, you are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest. For My yoke is easy and My burden light.”

No comments: