12.16.2010

Conversations With A Second Grader.

“Okay, what does this card say?”

“FROG!!”

“What is it? Try again.”

“Frog.”

“Let’s Touch Spell it: F O G.”

“Frog.”

“No, let’s Touch Spell again: F O G.”

“Frog.”

“You keep adding an R in there! Does this card have an R on it?”

“No.”

“No… let’s Touch Spell again: F O G.”

“Frog.”

“Try again.”

“Frog.”

“Touch Spell it for me.”

“F O G. Frog.”

“You added an R again! You’re being silly. Touch Spell it for me again.”

“F O G. Fog.”

“Awesome! You got it! Try it one more time. What does this card say?”

“Frog!”

“Ah, you added the R again! Touch Spell it for me.”

“F O G. Frog.”

“Let’s Touch Spell together: F O G.”

“Fog.”

“There you go! Read it to me again.”

“Fog.”

“Phew. I knew you could do it.”




Love, love, love my job. She cracked me up today, adding the R nearly every time we tried to read the word “fog.” For some reason, it just stuck in her mind that it needed an R in it… and by golly it would have an R! They’re all little frogs, jumping up and down while reading words.

And now, we creep down the hallway silently, trying not to let anyone see us. Conventional? No. But it keeps them quiet in the hall and we get to the class quickly, stealthily. They duck down to go past windows, of which there is a plethora. And we dart past open doors. Other teachers who see us look on warily, then laugh when they catch onto our plan. They’re jealous of our Mad Skillz.

The Principal called me from the office this morning, asking to employ my Spanish skills… I have no Spanish skills. I know French. I was sad to not be able to help, but really flattered that he had thought of me, that he remembered that part of our interview wherein we discussed multi-lingual education. Shoot, if any new students from France or Canada show up, call me! Maybe I should get a Spanish tutor. Buzz Lightyear, perhaps.

I have my own desk. I am not sitting at it right now though. I was told I could bring anything I need to make the classroom feel like mine also. Mine. My classroom. I am in the process of gathering paperwork to apply for my Alaska teaching certificate. Then I may get a contract to last through the end of the school year. As it is, I will be here anyway. A job, everyday, until May, doing what I love.

No comments: