4.22.2006

Luke 24:13 And On

I'm teaching Sunday School tomorrow, and the lesson is all about when Jesus appeared to these two guys while they were walking home the day He rose to life again.

And, really, I've been struggling with it. I mean, Ididn't get why Jesus chose to show Himself to these two guys when His 12 (or, 11, because of Judas) disciples were waiting for Him. I mean, these guys were normal, like you and me. They followed Jesus, and loved Him, but they hadn't been part of the inner group.

I think that's why Jesus showed Himself to them. It's like, He knew that people other than the 11 disciples needed to see Him. And I think He purposely went to normal guys. These guys had lost their faith and thier hope, and were sad, just kind of trudging along the road home. They were seriously miserable, they didn't know where Jesus even WAS, so they totally were not expecting Him to come alongside them.

And how often is that me? Like when something happens, and I just get meh, do I expect Jesus to just come along? Not really. I know He will, and does, but I don't really expect it.

These guys were hopeless, but, unknowingly, they did the right thing: they talked to Jesus about it.

I guess that's why this story is so incredible. It's so plain, and what a perfect picture of us talking to Jesus without reserve, and what a perfect picture of Jesus breaking the Bread - His body - for us when we most need it.

No comments: