12.27.2008

Artist.

A Definition of Me: Artist.

I made a couple of my Christmas presents this year: a sweater vest for Ashely, a nice red scarf for Susan, and a beautiful purple and quiviut scarf for my Mom. I love having raw materials set in front of me, with a couple of tools, and making something unique out of them. When I make something, it becomes a part of me, an extension of who I am, an extension that can be seen and held and felt and enjoyed.

Painting captures me in such a way that even my worst days end up okay after I have created something truly enjoyable. I love sharing that feeling with other people, who may or may not get it. Shaun and I painted a picture together one day, and seeing how he interacted with the paint and how he approached the canvas was really eye-opening. He expected perfection and when he didn't get it, he was so upset at himself. Meanwhile, I approached it in an entirely different manner, not really planning, but just picking colors and going for it. The thing is, art doesn't have to be perfect. It's okay to just make it up as you go.

I made a personality T-shirt. I hadn't meant to make it all in one night. But I started, then I couldn't stop. It's like I had to finish my design - I had to finish expressing myself in that medium. It turned out so well. It's me... only wearable. (Though I guess I wear myself every day...)

My favorite class this last semester was my Art and Music for Elementary Students. We made pottery, weaved baskets, played with clay, designed masks, and water-color painted. Walking into the art building every Thursday was... fantastic. If I wasn't an elementary education major, I would totally major in art. Or, if it wasn't too late, I would minor in art education.

Art: the products of human creativity

No comments: