9.27.2009

Home.





My home church called tonight, and I missed the call. But when I listened to the message, my face broke into a HUGE grin.

I called them back right away. When they answered, I literally jumped up and down. Three times.

There were thirty people or so crowded into Pastor's office, sitting around the desk to talk to me. They all took their turns saying "hi" and I responded to each of them with either a hi, an exclamation of joy, or a laugh.

Collin. Anna. Morgan. Janelle. Mom and Dad. The Thompsons. The Reeders. Oh, joy.

I was walking across campus, and when I got to the chapel, I sat on the pavement and just talked with them. I told them about the church I attend here, where people really worship and where God speaks to me about the same things that He is teaching me in my life personally. I told them how long I have until graduation (one and three quarters semester), how many classes I have left (three, plus student teaching), and what I was doing tonight (working at the desk). I told them I would be home in less than three months, that I would do my best to bring Thomas home with me, and that I could not WAIT to see them.

It was so encouraging, hearing that many people want to talk to me, to encourage me, to remind me that they love me (as Janelle said four or five times) and that they pray for me.

I can't stop smiling.

Mat-Su Miner baseball games with the youth, making T-shirts at Little Millers in Wasilla, writing random numbers on our shirts, wearing hard hats since they are the Miners. Painting Tyler's hair.

Mission Trips... SO much fun, but so different, one from the other.
Hawaii: tattoos, wetting the cave, singing in the vans, driving everywhere, rain, two-step dancers, the King's swimming hole, pork blood, dead frogs, prayer walking.
Florida. Leading, but not really. Mostly just hanging out with the youth, taking random pictures, spotting alligators, catching crabs, and rope swinging.

The amazing ladies. Writing letters to me all the time, in the competition; buying me ice-cream; praying for me; encouraging me. Loving me. Teaching me. Guiding me.

Then the girls - hanging out with them and their Mom, laughing until we almost cried at the pictures and videos we made. Melissa's Box of Fun. Smoothies.

My heart is so full, I might actually explode.

They always say that our church is one of a kind; that there is no other like it. I agree.

We didn't start going there until right before 10th grade, when Mom was out of town, and Dad I went. My high school math teacher was there. He was ordained as a deacon a few weeks later. "Cop Church," as Brad called it. He's right. I feel like I grew up at the church. I know I did, at least spiritually.

MYPD.
Rededicating Life.
Missions.
Teaching Sunday School and VBS.
Acteens.
Traveling to North Carolina, Hawaii, Florida, Juneau, and Anchorage.
Senior Citizen Centers.
Anchorage Homeless Shelter.
Singing Valentine Grams.
Being prayed over.
Being sent out to Oklahoma, Africa, and India.
Icecream fund raisers when I'm not even there.

Really, though - words can't express it all.

No comments: