12.08.2009

Dr. Russell.

Dr. Jimmie Russell was clearly an inspiration to all students, peers, and community members who knew her. Simply reading the display case that details her life at OBU motivated and encouraged me in my quest of becoming a teacher. Dr. Russell’s life is a great example of what it means to be a teacher, as evidenced in the words written and spoken by those whose lives she touched.

In a broad sense, being a teacher is more than teaching the subject matter or the curriculum. Being a teacher means teaching students to live with their hearts. I think that your “heart” – not the physical heart, but the abstract heart – encompasses every part of life: dreams, fears, passions, secrets, hopes, and regrets, everything that encourages and excites a person, but also that which makes them think and reflect. True teachers consider each aspect of the heart, working to help the students develop into the person they want to be. Through this, teachers teach life. They lead by example and show their students that it is okay to fail, as long as you try.

Many times, teachers never know the important role they have played in someone’s life. Words expressed after one’s passing show the true magnitude of that person’s influence. Dr. Russell lived influentially through the lessons she taught in and out of the classroom, the service she offered her community, and the programs she developed, such as America Reads, working with the school in Russia, and starting a reading and math clinic.

However, reading about someone like Dr. Russell is also a bit intimidating. I so desire to have just half of that magnitude of impact on someone’s life, but I do not know how I relate to her life as a future educator. I suppose, like Dr. Russell, I have a huge passion for education. I sincerely believe that education changes both the lives of those teaching and of those learning. Every situation is an opportunity to learn. Coupled with a passion for teaching, there needs to be Christ-like behavior and advocacy. The main component of both Christ-likeness and advocacy is love. I have learned a lot about love this semester and am looking forward to applying that in my teaching career, and beforehand. Love in the teaching field is saying, “You can try again. This time you will get it.” It says, “I will fight for you and with you in this situation because you are worth it to me and to others.” Living a life of love through a passion for education is crucial to being a teacher who makes a difference.

I know that no one can replace Dr. Russell in the lives of those who knew her. I know that I am different from Dr. Russell in personality, ability, and technique. However, one day I hope to be someone’s “Dr. Russell” – the teacher that supported, inspired, and mentored her students and peers. Like Dr. Russell, I am not defined by the job I do. Who I am defines the quality of job I do. I am not Melissa Krauss because I am a teacher. I am a teacher because I am Melissa Krauss. My character, choices, and convictions make me who I am. In turn, they make me into the teacher I will one day become.

No comments: