5.31.2011

Growing Up.

The May memory verse for Sunday School is 1 Peter 1:24-25 “All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field: the grass withers and flowers fall… but the Word of the Lord stands forever. And this is the Word that was preached to you!” (Emphasis mine.)

Because I have spent the last few nights practicing the verses for Verse Alert, I ended up reading some of 1 Peter, particularly verses 1:13-25. But tonight, I backed up a little to verse 3.

You see, my journaling tonight centered on what I learned while I was in South Asia, which is the same thing my Pastor preached about in church this morning. After last night’s breakthrough, it was a wonderful confirmation of God’s faithfulness. But I digress. After thinking some more about Mary’s sacrifice (cf John 12:1-8) and spiritual act of worship (Romans 12:1-2), I started thinking about worship in general. Pastor Tom mentioned that just the realization of who God is should spring up worship in us. As I thought about it, sure enough, that worship grew and grew in my soul. I became so excited for Who God is.

1 Peter 1:3 says, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!” and goes on to talk about the inheritance I have as a believer. But the part that stood out to me tonight – the part the Holy Spirit made to leap off the page, came in verse 5: “… who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time…” (Emphasis mine.) Guarded through faith for a salvation. Guarded. All those doubts? All those fears? That anxiety? The frustration and sadness? Through it all, I was being guarded. My salvation was being guarded. GUARDED! (I’m picturing angels standing next to me, while Satan tries to snatch away my salvation. Those angels are ensuring with flashing swords that he is not successful. Because even when I don’t feel it, I am still being guarded.)

Verse 6 continues, “In this you REJOICE!!!!!” (Emphasis totally mine.) Peter’s saying, in effect, “Hey guys! Life is hard! You are exiled and left in a land that is unfamiliar to you. You don’t know what’s going on or when you’ll get some guidance from the Lord. BUT! Your faith is being perfected and your salvation is being guarded! Yeah, I know you can’t see God. But don’t you see?! You still have faith big enough to love Him and believe in Him! Your faith is growing – He is growing you up! Rejoice in that!”

God is growing me up. And He is guarding me all the way. Guarding His child, precious in His sight.

No comments: