5.21.2012

Describe Three Significant Memories From Your Childhood.

I feel like I've covered some significant childhood memories already, what with my love note to Mikey and all.  But I'll try to think of three new old ones.

- Mom told me to wait, but I started walking down the stairs anyway.  And I don't know what happened - maybe there was a toy in the way.  Or maybe my feet just stumbled.  But somehow, all of a sudden, I was tumbling down the stairs.  And then...I landed at the bottom and the pain hit.  Dad took me to the ER and they took X-Rays before wrapping my four-year-old arm in a bright pink cast.  I had to shower with a plastic bag over my arm, and I couldn't go out to play, but everyone signed my cast. That was my first real injury - the first trip to the ER that I remember.
- Mom and Dad gave me Molly for Christmas when I was in fourth grade. I loved her. That next January, we went to my Grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary.  I took Molly with me. I remember - very specifically - sitting in the hotel room with my Grandma, showing her my doll, sharing how special Molly was and thinking, "Of course Grandma loves Molly!"  And now, I think she loved that moment with me much more than she liked the doll.  I miss her.  I wish I had written her more letters before she passed away.
- One summer, Dad coached my baseball team.  I was awful.  I mean, really really terrible.  I got hit by the ball nearly every time I was up to bat that season, couldn't catch or throw well, but enjoyed hanging out in the dugout and on the field!  That season solidified the fact that I have very poor hand-eye coordination, that I prefer individual sports to team sports, and that I'm a better cheerleader than MVP.

No comments: