4.18.2006

If We're Adding To The Noise, Turn Off This Song!

I think silence is one of the most important things in life.

I'm all for listening to music, and talking, and hearing the every day noises around me, but one of the most peaceful times in my life was at the Swihart's cabin, when we were all laying down on the ice watching the stars act all starry.

And it was silent...a silent so loud that you could barely think or act or feel anything except for wonder.

I think people get so caught up in living loudly: music in their car, at home, every where they go with their iPods. There is always noise. You can't escape it. But it's also nice not to add to it.

I really like driving the truck for the reason of noise. As in, there is no working radio in it. Therefore, I sing to myself. Or just talk out loud. Or think. Or pray. Or I'm just silent.

Mostly the latter two.

And it's really nice. I miss the pounding bass from my car, and the other sweet hook-ups, but there is something almost pure about not having those things. It's like, you realize that you don't really need them.

No comments: