5.24.2012

Describe Your Family Dynamics Of Your Childhood Versus Your Family Dynamics Now.

When I was a kid, it seemed like everything was about my brothers - Brad being successful and going to West Point, Jeff graduating and joining the Army... and I was just.. there.  For a long time, I think I was just there - doing my own thing, flying below the radar.

I'm sure that wasn't true.  But I was a good kid, and did pretty well pretty easily in school, and played with dolls, and tried to play baseball.  I was quiet and read a lot.  And since my brothers seemed to hate me, I mostly stuck to myself.

And really, it wasn't until I was about 21 that my brothers realized I am a contributing member of society. I think they sometimes still don't remember though.  It makes it hard to even have an adult conversation with them when they don't remember you are (almost) in your mid-twenties, have a job making as much money as them, paid off student loans, and purchased your first brand new car.

Maybe it's because I still live at home.

For a long time, I didn't think my parents were proud of me.  Brad and Jeff overshadowed all I did, for the good or the bad.  But now, I think they're getting there.  Or maybe they were there all along, and I'm just now catching up to it.  That's more likely.  

No comments: